Wednesday, January 16, 2008

My best run so far

This morning I decided to go somewhere new to run. Went down town and parked on a random street, pushed start on the Garmin and started running. I had a really bad day yesterday so I needed some time to clear my head and just chill out. Thankfully I left my ipod at home because it caused me to actually think more instead of jam out. Before I knew it I had already ran over a mile and had not stopped at all to walk. Btw- that's a first for me. I usually have to stop atleast at the 1 mile point and walk for a minute then go again. I was happy, makes me feel like im accomplishing something. Steven and I meet at Outback every Tuesday night and last night I was telling him how I know how our white belt students feel. Starting something new surrounded by a bunch of black belts who make everything look so easy but it's not. It's the same thing in running. I have came into this thing super excited but im realizing it's really a process much like the belts in martial arts. 1-Get down the basics and after a while you start seeing small improvements. 2- Lot's and lot's of repetition 3- as I say about 50 times a day "technique first, speed will follow". The more I run the more I see how it's so similar to martial arts. I guess after a while you will be kickin' ass with the rest of em'. Atleast that's my goal. Kerry, Dave, Sam, Monika, Amy, Troy, Leora, Deb and all those other "black belts" outs there inspire me to keep on pushing and eventually I will move up one step at a time.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Great post! And you will be a black belt before you know...you already have the hard part down: discipline!